Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Our Father Runs

I have been asking questions a lot lately about how I envision our God. The question isn't "Who is God?" but "How do I see God?" Who he really is is much more important, but how I see him effects everything I think and do.

That brings to mind what the late pastor A.W. Tozer said in "The Knowledge of the Holy.": "What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us."

I often think that our God is distant, impatient and he doesn't show affection. There are a lot of reasons for that. I know better, but I do not always feel the truth.

So, I read something again yesterday that I simply need to type and slowly soak in.

Writing about Jesus parable we normally call the Prodigal Son, Tim Keller says this in his book The Prodigal God:

"How can the inner dynamic of the heart be changed from one of fear and anger to one of joy, love and gratitude? 
The first thing we need to know is God's initiating love.Notice how the Father comes out to each so and expresses love to him, in order to bring him in. He does not wait for his younger son on the porch of his home, impatiently tapping his foot, murmuring, 'Here comes that son of mine. After all that he's done, there had better be some real groveling!' There is not a hint of such attitude. No, he runs and kisses him before his son can confess. It's not the repentance that causes the father's love, but rather the reverse. The father's lavish affection makes the son's expression of remorse far easier." [The emphasis is mine]

What if I believed my Father in heaven ran to me? How would I act if I knew at the core of my being that he pursues me? What would my view of the world be if my heart caught up with the truth that real love comes, not from my love of God, but that he loved me first? His idea. His initiation.

How would I love others?

I think I would have the strength to run just like he does.

I have to apologize for this, but it is too funny not to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment