Monday, June 15, 2015

A Surprising Story


And one from the "Way Back Machine"...
There are some things I thought I would be ready for and some things I had no idea that I wasn't ready for. In the last week we have spoken with two people who said things to us that completely surprised us...knocked us on our proverbial heels. There is so much more to the stories than I will share here, but here is the highlight. (Ask me and I will love to tell you more!):

At the playground with S.:

A week ago today we decided to make it a special day and meet at the playground for lunch. I didn't realize that people could be outside at the park on a beautiful day and eat lunch. I looked around wondering if I was doing something wrong and if i was about to get caught.

We have asked the Lord to send our way someone we had met at the playground before and He decided to answer this day. S [not his full name :)] was there with his two girls, one of which is my daughter's age. After a short time, we started to talk about the things that mattered most to us- our view of the meaning of the world and human existence. S is a very intelligent and thought-full man whose ideas on why were are here are sophisticated even if they would be seen as unorthodox even for around here.

After a significant amount of time where he shared the narrative of his view of life, I asked if I could share an alternate view- very briefly. Genesis One is more than an account of how our God created the world with the power of his voice, it was also written to share an alternate (and true) account of the dawn of an age where something existed in the universe apart from him (God) to a world that couldn't (and wouldn't) understand that.

I told S that the world was fashioned by an uncreated Creator (trying to get to Jesus and what his death and resurrection mean), but he had to stop me there. His face changed because he seemed to be confounded by a new thought. Interrupting me, he mirrored my words back to me: "An uncreated Creator? A Creator?!)

Then I was the one with the confounded look on my face. The realization of what was happening washed over me: S had never thought that the world might have been created by a personal Creator. In all his reading and searching and struggling, he had never once thought that the universe might have been designed by a God who is a person. My assumption was that he had heard the "alternate story" of how the earth was created and rejected it. I was wrong: never once had it entered his mind.

We did eventually get to the meaning of the cross and resurrection. I did get to finish (most of) the Grand Story. As we were leaving, he said he wanted to get together again and talk...but he needed some time to process what we talked about. I look forward to meeting with my friend again. Who knows how we will both be surprised next time.


2 comments:

  1. Woah!!!!!! Awesome on many levels!!! Prayed that the Holy Spirit would speak in whatever way he needs to hear and he be open to it. And...that the lies of the deceiver (specifically the serpent Leviathan) would be broken and exposed and find it difficult to impossible to penetrate the Truth! Can't wait to hear!!!! Wnd of course would love to hear more!!!!!

    ReplyDelete