Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Village at Magnolia

The last two Saturdays I have spent some time with a person from the Chamber of Commerce in our neighborhood, asking about the future of the main business district we call The Village.


They are running a campaign to ask people who are interested to be involved with the planning of the future of the Village. The main question they are asking is "What would you like to see?"

Today, I spoke with Greg C. for about 20 minutes. When he asked me what I do he was a little confused at why I would pay so close attention to what the Chamber is proposing. Though I missed the opportunity today, next time I will tell them that one of our values is that we as the Church want to see the flourishing of our city. (see: "peace" or shalom in Jeremiah 29:7... and the context of the verse)

That is where I need help. I would like to see if anyone would be willing to look at what is already written and give feedback. The picture below is of a banner in which people fill out stickers for their vision of the Village and place the stickers on the banner for others to see.


  • What do you see about the people who have written their vision?
  • What is your first impression about what is written? Why?
  • How would you suggest we involve ourselves in helping shape the vision in order to be for the flourishing of the people of Magnolia?
The only real flourishing of a group of people in a city is if they have a flourishing relationship with Jesus. That is the real reason I ask.

I would appreciate any feedback that you might have. Thanks!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! I LOVE these people!!! They want to eat and have fun!!!!! They are asking FOR community!! Now, there are a lot of cards I could not read but most things had something to do with fun or entertainment of some kind (which includes eating). Of course it stands to reason that the people who are out IN the community WANT community. What would be the responses if you ask the people who don't come out and engage much in the community? (But that was not your question.) How do you help accomplish that flourishing? I am not sure I know how to answer that. The only thing that comes to mind is starting off getting to know people and as you start building relationships...start having fun with them. Do dinners and movies and games and go running with people. Once God starts creating opportunity for investment, be intentional. I don't know how to do that on a big scale...I only know how to do that starting small. Meeting the need for community, fellowship, relaxing fun that they are asking for on a more personal level. I fear I am only answering part of the question.

    ReplyDelete