Friday, May 27, 2016

Be Still My Soul, the Lord is On Your Side

So many mornings I wake up scattered and jumping all over the place. I hesitate to use this word, but I need the Spirit to "center" me. The scatteredness is just my anxiety of all the things that could go wrong. Those thoughts often dominate my thinking in the morning.

Which is why i need to hear from my Father. I need him to gather up all the anxious piece of me that run around scared and feeling alone and draw them back in to hold on to a simple truth: he is worth trusting.

My anxious soul does not have to dominate my point of view that yesterday was the end of all that is good in my life. No, when God speaks through his Word, he recreates my thinking and reorients my feelings toward the truth that the same God who gave Jesus for a selfish man like me will not hold back good things to those who trust him...to those who have benefitted from the gift of his salvation in Christ.

So, there are the words the Father used to settle my soul this morning. Some are from Jeremiah and some are his word as processed through a man who loved God's word:

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD
whose trust is the LORD.
He is like a tree planted by water,
that send out its roots by the stream,
and does not fear when heat comes,
for its leaves remain green,
and is not anxious in the year of drought,
for it does not cease to bear fruit."
Jeremiah 17:7-8

"The secret of faith that is ready for emergencies is the quiet, practical dependence upon God day by day which makes Him real to the believing heart." Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret, pg 100

No comments:

Post a Comment