Wednesday, May 25, 2016

"Fellowship" and Friendship

When I say that we want to scattered small groups- Gospel Communities- throughout our neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods, it often sounds like a technique to grow our church. Sterile, if not stale. Sometimes when I say them, the words feel devoid of life and power.

In reading Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret this morning, I came to a place where Mr. Taylor makes a new missionary friend in China named, William Burns. Mr. Burns was, at the time, much older and deeper in the ways of Jesus than Hudson Taylor was.

It is Hudson Taylor's words about  Mr. Burns that helped me articulate (to myself) the longing of what I want to see God do in our lives...and the relationships I long for him to bring in these Gospel Communities:

"His [Mr. Burns] love for the Word was delightful, and his holy reverential life and constant communing with God made fellowship with him to satisfy the deep cravings of my heart."

Father, make this description of Mr. Burns be the normal description of the men and women in our lives, both people who are believers now and people you will give life to! Show your power for Jesus' names' sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment