Monday, May 16, 2016

The Joy of the King

The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field,
which a man found
and hid again;
and from joy over it
he goes and sells all that he has
and buys that field.
Again,
the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking fine pearls,
and upon finding on pearl of great value
he went and sold all that he had
and bought it.
(Matthew 13:44-46)

It is no sacrifice to give everything to gain the kingdom. It was Paul's joy to consider everything   loss for the sake of knowing Christ Jesus our Lord.

I have understood this, but only a little. Only enough to want more. Only enough to know that I am still clinging to lesser things too tightly.

But, blessed are your eyes
because they see;
and your ears,
because they hear.
For truly I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see,
and did not see it,
and to hear what you hear,
and did not hear it.
(Matthew 13:16-17)

Father, will you please keep opening our eyes and ears?

Cause us to see and hear. Let us see the beauty of your kingdom and ravish our selfish desires with that vision. Show how "empty, pale and poor" they are "compared to knowing you my Lord."

One thing I ask of you and this is what I seek, that we might dwell in your presence all the days of our lives, to behold the glory of your beauty. Please show us where we love our sin and the world. Please also show us your glory in such a way that we would think it foolish not to repent and "sell everything we have" in order to gain you and your kingdom.

Please, by the power of your Spirit, lead us to that kind of joy.

This will start for me if you give me the confidence in you and your heart to know that you will not hold back, but will give me (and the ones in my life) the assurance that you give graciously in the same way you graciously gave Jesus. I just say back to you what your word says, if you didn't hold Jesus back, but gave his graciously for us all, then how will you not (along with Jesus) graciously give us all manner of things that you think are good?!

You are a good Father, and I am your doubting child. I am your stubborn child. I love that you are my Father and you are so much more good than I know.

Overwhelm us with your goodness. For the sake of Jesus' name. So that many, many would love him and come to know him. Including us.






No comments:

Post a Comment